Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hunting Traditions

Hunting the wild game of Michigan has always been our tradition. Below is an account from one of the earliest settlers of Oneida Township.

“From the first there was a panther which gave the settlement a good deal of annoyance. He could give out any noise that might be imagined. His agility was most surprising. No squirrel could leap from one tree to another like this native puss. But whether he became tired of his Canadian associates, or whether he had a ' more eligible call,' no one could guess; at any rate he made a very sudden and unexpected exit, to the inexpressible joy of us all.
Wolves were prevalent from the very beginning. Approaching the very thresholds of our frail shanties, they would almost nightly give us a full specimen of their peculiar thunder. To this gratuitous compliment they would often add that of taking a few sheep from the very thresholds of our homes. I have often been in the woods alone, surrounded by numbers of these greedy monsters, when the whole forest was made to ring with their hideous howling voices. Boldness is their characteristic when at large, but when captured, like all thieving rogues, they are both mute and indisposed to self defense.
In the years 1842, '43, and '44 deer were about as plenty as sheep are now. I have killed many of these peculiar denizens, by nature wild as the wildest though they are in their native haunts. Yet, unlike the sneaking wolf, when caught alive will fight to the bitter end. Of this trait I had some experimental proofs, particularly with an old veteran buck. Having shot him twice without killing him, he proposed to return the compliment. As soon as I found him making for me in right earnest, I managed to keep at the opposite side of a small tree. Taking my partner, not over politely, by the horns, with my arms astride the tree, I held on for dear life, knowing well my fate if I should lose my position. In this attitude the strife commenced. The aim of my heroic companion was to stab me with his huge pointed horns, my object for the most part being to prevent him. When an opportunity occurred for putting my knife into him, forgetting his head armor, he would then give me the benefit of his heels. At times he would bring me to consider myself only second best. Through loss of blood, rather than courage, he at length yielded the palm of victory, when I had the honor, I cannot say satisfaction, of taking off his head. When dressed the carcass reached the weight of two hundred and ten pounds, being the largest deer I ever killed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment